That is nonsense and just tabloid talk.

IBM just recently announced AIX 7 for their POWER 7 server line.  Linux cannot
in any way use the full capabilities of POWER architecture the way it is
exploited with AIX.  If IBM was to eliminate AIX, they would have to also kill
their POWER architecture, which isn't going to happen.

Their POWER servers have a good margin and they make money from them.  There
are also very large companies that run AIX and have no intention to turn over
their AIX-powered servers to Linux on cheap x86 hardware.

Linux doesn't have anywhere near the features that AIX can boast about.  RHEL
clustering is a joke at best, and Xen virtualization clustering on RHEL is
about as pathetic as one can get.  There isn't any way I would entrust my
company to RHEL for mission critical workloads.  Absolutely not.

There is a complete fabrication that Linux is cheaper than AIX or Solaris.
Well, if I want to setup an infrastructure to patch, install, and maintain
servers, it won't cost me any money to use NIM or JumpStart.  However, to get
those features with Red Hat Satellite server, you will pay hundreds per
machine.  So if you have 1000 servers you need to provision with RHEL, then you
just spent $600,000 - $700,000.  When they come out with KVM in RHEL 6, if you
want to manage them it will cost you a few hundred more per virtual.  EVERY
time one turns around, Red Hat is charging for some "feature" that is free with
AIX.

Xen virtualization compared to AIX DLPARs is laughable.  AIX has had more
features for 10 years than Red Hat is rolling out in RHEL 6.

No big AIX applications?  Oracle runs on AIX.  DB2 runs on AIX.  WebSphere runs
on AIX.  SAP runs on AIX.

AIX runs banking, transportation, finance, retail, health care, insurance,
defense, any sector of the economy you can think of.

There is an old saying, "you get what you pay for."  That cannot be more true
than it is with Linux.