Again agree, but with few additional thoughts. I was looking how many people
outside SUN actually has been delivering source into Nevada? Not so much,
actually.
For *any* develiper, starting to do bugfix-ing, for example, is very hards since
it has to learn a lot of stuffs before any real coding begun.

The *real* benefit of open-souced Solaris was for other companies since
theirengineers could learn new technology for *free*, even incorporating it
into their
OS-es or embedded systems.

I hold that I know software engineering, even thought I'm telecommunications
engineer, and it took so much of my time learning how some stuffs work.

Linux is open source but who are developers developing it? Predominantly
software
engineers interested in some features they would like to add to Linux so *their*
products could work. Since they have to release everything under GPL - it means
that they have to share it with others so other company's engineers could
improve/modify
it and use it for benefits of their own company.

At the end of the story it is just different business model than one with
licenses.I still believe that it is more advanced that "traditional" one, but
in Solaris case
maybe it is not - there are not so much stakeholders willing to improve Solaris
as there
are stakeholders willing to incorporate pieces of Solaris existing source code
into
their products.

Personally, I'm at least 5 years far from the phase when I will know *each*
system call,
whole mechanics inside ZFS, and other stuffs already outsourced.

As far as ORACLE offers OS and other SUN's technologies for free to use it and
develop,
I'm happy with that and believe most of the people. If it is not enough for
some developer
then, I personally congratulate to him/her, and I believe that ORACLE would be
more than
happy to become their Senior Engineer employee.
Hope I was clear with my thoughts.

Regards,
Uros Nedic
Belgrade, Serbia