"Edward Ned Harvey" <sh...@nedharvey.com> wrote:

> > From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> > discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of russell
> >
> > Given that computer software is just a series of mathematical
> > operations expressed in a form that can be interpreted by a processor,
> > I find the whole concept of software patents less than original.
>
> Given that hardware design is done in software languages such as HDL, I
> guess your argument could be extended to say that there is no such thing as
> a patentable piece of software or hardware invention.

In Europe, software patents are permitted in case that they are related to
hardware.

But in any case, patents are anachronistic. Patents have been created to
protect inventions made by single personss against big companies 200 years ago.
Patents are now perverted by the big companies against the original intention.

This is a fact that is known sice more than 100 years.

Telefunken, one of the biggest inventor company (they e.g. build hundreds 10
GHz
silicon diodes in 1942 already and they invented the optical fiber
communication) has been founded in 1903 by AEG and Siemens on behest of the
German
Kaiser Wilhelm II, in order to to work around the fact that AEG and Siemens
prevented each other to work on communications technology because of patents.
Telefunken could use all patenfs from AEG and Siemens for free and this way was
able to become the world leader in telecommunications within one year (leaving
behind Marconi instruments).

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin