>There's also a public good argument.  When you patent something, yes, you get
>a temporary monopoly -- but the tradeoff is you have to publicly reveal it.
>In the absence of patents, more technological advances would be treated as
>trade secrets and kept out of the public eye.
>
>I do think there are a lot of abuses of the patent system, most of them
>related to insufficient vetting of new patents and the expense of litigating
>them later.  I think something like the patent system is necessary, though.

The length of the monopoly should be part of the discussion; I can see why
a patent for a medication should be as long as it is now, but for software
and perhaps hardware too, I'm thinking more of 5 years and not longer.

Also, the law should be changed to disallow patent trolls: if you don't
ship or plan to ship a product using your patent, then clearly you're not
suffering when someone else is using a similar invention.

Casper