Orvar Korvar <knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am only asking if all distros cooperated on one single distro, would it not
> be better if there was only one "official" community distro. It does not
> matter to people if it is Schillix or OpenIndiana, as long as the distro
> attracts many core developers and it gets momentum. But some people would
> prefer a pure OpenSolaris distro, and not an entirely new animal.

SchilliX is doing what you are talking about...
SchilliX is a pure OpenSolaris based distro.

As I mentioned, SchilliX is intended to be a distro for people who like to have
Solaris the way they know it and not something that was created for Linux users.

> I understand there are lots of efforts invested in each distro and lot of
> politics too. I am just worried about fragmentation. Just like Unix: there
> are Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, SCO, Xenix, etc. And they could not be merged, Unix
> continued to be fragmented. And then suddenly Linux came and everyone joined
> it. I am worried it will be the same with OpenSolaris: lots of different
> distros and no one catch momentum. But with a sader end: there is no single
> OpenSolaris distro to emerge, but all these distros die instead.

I mentioned many times since Summer 2005 that Distro creators should work
together in order to minimize the effort. I am open for collaboration since I
started to create SchilliX in February 2005.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)