Alan, come on. What does access to basic patches have to do with production
deployment? Even at home, I don't look at some set of my boxes and even think,
oh, those can go without patches. And the idea that you've got a product that's
supposed to be available for evaluation and development but that can only be
bought for the same price charged for production support on a product that's
increasingly targeted to enterprise environments ($1k USD per socket per
year)... Last time I tried to get a price on this, I spent weeks being passed
between sales people, so I've got no appetite to go through that process in
search of a reasonable price. Where's the recognition of where the product
makes sense and a SKU to get it there?

Why aren't there reasonably priced subscriptions available for development,
education, and evaluation that package support and tools? The principle that
patches aren't a basic requirement of running an OS and only available through
a licensing model targeting enterprises for production together tell me that
Oracle hasn't found the plot they lost when they withdrew OpenSolaris and
decided that the primary mission of Solaris should be to maximise revenue from
enterprise sales. I don't want to build relationships with Oracle through the
sale organisation any more than I want to have to spend time with a car
salesman: I just want a reasonable list price to get software I need that I'm
not buying with someone else's money, and I gotta say, the only other major
game where I have to buy such a package at all is Microsoft, where Oracle is
asking a multiple of their list. Dave is right: this is demoware, and the only
person who want to run this as offered is someone who wants a Solaris install
that only lasts long enough to make a sales pitch.