> On 11/16/10 07:46 PM, Sean M. Brannon wrote:
> > Thank you for the answers guys. Not that I'm happy
> about their content. :-(
> > OpenSolaris and the future Solaris 11 had me
> interested in Solaris as a server platform again.
> Even though Oracle had bought it, and quashed
> OpenSolaris, I still felt Solaris could prove itself
> able to provide features that would be compelling
> enough to move away from Linux for certain workloads.
> >

> It still does, whether you consider they justify the
> cost of support
> only you can say.
> > Alas, it isn't to be I'm afraid. My work
> environment precludes the attachment to our network
> of any OS that could not be patched should security
> vulnerabilities arise.
>
> So you wouldn't have been able to attach an
> OpenSolaris system either.

Well, maybe it's me reading too much into it..
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/documentation/s11sysadminwp101109final2-186770.pdf

see text near bottom of page 7 (9/26):

Table 2 lists default network-accessible repositories for Oracle Solaris 11
Express.
TABLE 2. ORACLE SOLARIS 11 EXPRESS REPOSITORIES
REPOSITORY DESCRIPTION
http://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/release Default repository for Oracle Solaris 11
Express. This repository contains
updates for each new release of Oracle Solaris. Significant bug fixes, security
updates and new software may be provided at any time for users to install at
Oracle's discretion.
https://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/support Support repository providing the latest
bug fixes and updates. Access is
restricted to users with current Oracle Solaris support contracts.

So it somehow reminds me the old Recommended&Security patch cluster and
Maintenance Update, where Recommended cluster is public available, MU is only
available to customers under contract.

If it is set up and kept set up this way, I think it's good enough for a
development environment. Of course, hope pkg can do a lot better than old
smpatch&co..

Cheers,
Ivan.