Thank you for the answers guys. Not that I'm happy about their content. :-(

My intent wasn't to use Solaris 11 Express in production. Or at least I
wouldn't consider a home server as production. I wanted a chance to use Solaris
11 and re-familiarize myself with Solaris in general, and thought putting it on
a new server I was building for my home could be a step in that direction. A
major advantage of doing this at home is that I would have to deal with the
draconian computer security apparatus at work and the paperwork and testing
that is required to attach computer systems to our network.

I gave up on Solaris back around 8 as it didn't provide the proper value
proposition for my environment. All of the developers I supported were moving
or had moved to Linux. Our only need for Solaris was to provide a build
environment as we still supported legacy systems for customers of our software.

OpenSolaris and the future Solaris 11 had me interested in Solaris as a server
platform again. Even though Oracle had bought it, and quashed OpenSolaris, I
still felt Solaris could prove itself able to provide features that would be
compelling enough to move away from Linux for certain workloads.

Alas, it isn't to be I'm afraid. My work environment precludes the attachment
to our network of any OS that could not be patched should security
vulnerabilities arise. Even on test machines. Much of the US Federal gov't has
the same requirements; whether or not all admins adhere to the rules is another
question. In any case, I'm not going to buy a support agreement in order to put
up a test environment. And I'm not sure I want to deal with a vendor that won't
provide patches for test machines. It doesn't speak well of the corporate
culture and their attitude toward customers. Hell, even Microsoft provides
updates and security patches with their 120-day evals.