I think it really matters what you're using it for. If you look around
on AMD's site you'll see some mention of ECC being important for
embedded applications now as well but I have to agree that most
desktop users aren't going to care one way or another...

"Does either the Intel Core i7 processor or the Intel Core i5
processor family support Error Correction Code (ECC) memory?

Neither family of desktop processors supports ECC memory. Typically
ECC memory is used on servers and workstations rather than on desktop
platforms. This is due to the price premium and extremely low
likelihood of a data error occurring even on memory not utilizing
ECC."

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.htm

"ECC memory support for low end SOHO server applications and
applications requiring reliable data or minimum down time."

http://www.amd.com/pl/products/embedded/processors/Pages/socket-am3.aspx