On 2/23/2011 12:20 PM, Orvar Korvar wrote:
I just want an integrated 3D in a cpu that can give me 1080p, Compiz, simple
games in Wine/VirtualBox, etc. It is not really important to me if I get
updates to a 3D driver, as long as it gives me the above. I hope Sandybridge
would give me this? What do you think, should the Solarsi 3D driver for
Sandybridge be able to give me all this? Never mind frequent updates...

Oscar,

What's driving your SandyBridge desire?

Given that S-B is just starting to ship now, you'll pay a premium to get it, vs any older CPU.

Given what you've previously described your usage is:

Quote:
"I thought 3D driver for Sandbybridge was on it's way? I dont need excellent 3D
performance, just so I can see 1080p video, use Compiz, play old games in
Wine/VirtualBox, such as Starcraft 1, Diablo 2, etc.

I hope in this case, I do not need Nvidia graphics card. Now, I have a ATI4850
and the 2D driver is not really good, I can not playback 1080p video - that is
impossible because of huge lag.

I want to build a Solaris PC with low power requirements. Sandybridge/Ivybridge with
one SSD and no discrete graphics card. I suspect this config will idle at ~50Watt
and still provide plenty of cpu power, but low 3D performance. Which is perfect for
a SunRay server. Maybe I should settle for Ivy Bridge, which should have the same 3D
graphics driver, I hope."

I'd actually recommend something like an "Energy-Efficient" version of an
Athlon II and a motherboard with integrated nVidia graphics.

Something like this:

AMD Athlon II X3 400e (2.2Ghz, 45W thermal, triple-core, Socket AM3)    $100
AMD Athlon II X4 615e (2.5Ghz, 45W thermal, quad-core, Socket AM3)      $150

MSI NF750-G55 motherboard               $85
        (http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1879)

It's better supported under Solaris now, and should fit your needs easily.

--

Erik Trimble
Java System Support