Hello Alan,

Thank you for the reply.  I did try running vncserver from the command line,
and that would certainly have been easy if it worked, but unfortunately it
didn't really.  I tried opening a connection from my Mac with both Chicken VNC
and apple's built in VNC client and both prompted for the password and then
displayed a completely white screen.  So it appears the port is open and the
vncserver is listening but it is not sending the correct content.  I tried
restarting gdm with svcadm restart gdm, but this did not affect the problem.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for all the help!

James