> None of the "right click and run as administrator" is needed; when the
> installer needs admin rights to install, it will prompt to do so.

​In the past, I've noticed subtle differences in the behavior of packages
​when you don't explicitly run the installer as an administrator and when
you do.  Unless you have a strong objection, I'd like to leave those lines
in there until we're sure.

DX SDK 2010 is not used if you are using the windows 8 SDK or higher (DX
> SDK is integrated into windows SDK 8.0 and higher); both VS community and
> VS 2013 ultimate install Windows SDK 8.1 and therefore will use the DX there

​Interesting - I do see DX headers and libs in the "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Windows Kits\8.1" folders. Do you know for sure that builds complete
without the separate SDK? If so, we should remove the reference to it -
it's huge.

> The linked update for Visual studio 2013 points to update 5 CTP; this is a
> preview and should not be used for production environment.  It should point
> to:
> http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#DownloadFamilies_5
> which will list the latest stable update.

​Good point - noted. and I will change the wiki.

A note to run Microsoft Update with the option of installing updates for
> other Microsoft products should be included in the last step of installing
> VS 2013.  This will update all the installed applications from VS 2013 like
> SQL server and VS itself.

​Good idea. I'd like to document how to enable that - all I see in Windows
Update -> Settings are options to change how and when they're updated. Do
you know how to change what gets checked?

> I will probably have other recommendations after trying the wiki out on a
> fresh system that hasn't been tainted with the 2010 build process.

​Great stuff. Thanks TankMaster.​

--
*Callum Prentice *| *Software Engineer*
*Cell* 650 888 1697 | *Skype* CallumPrentice | *Second Life *Callum Linden

Linden Lab <http://www.lindenlab.com/> | Makers of Shared Creative Spaces

Check out what we're working on! <http://lindenlab.com/products>