Hi,

Got some questions relating to Java..

Kaffe is an open source Java runtime + class libraries, and we're
looking to implement the new JDK 1.2 security stuff. Part of that
is the concept of a 'security provider' which simply means a crypto
library that implements a well-defined Java API.

One obvious way to create a security provider is to simply write
the necessary "wrapper" Java classes on top of an existing C library,
e.g, OpenSSL. So all the calls to the Java security provider would
be converted into native C calls to the underlying crypto library.
This allows you to leverage the optimizations and bug-fixing in the
underlying C library.

The first question is, is anyone attempting to do this? Ie, write
the Java security provider and native routines to interface with OpenSSL?
I'm interested in doing this for kaffe and OpenSSL looks like the
best candidate for doing it this way.

If not, does anyone foresee any issues/problems?

Thanks,
-Archie