Bernard Leach writes:
> > Kaffe is an open source Java runtime + class libraries, and we're
> > looking to implement the new JDK 1.2 security stuff. Part of that
> > is the concept of a 'security provider' which simply means a crypto
> > library that implements a well-defined Java API.
> >
> > One obvious way to create a security provider is to simply write
> > the necessary "wrapper" Java classes on top of an existing C library,
> > e.g, OpenSSL. So all the calls to the Java security provider would
> > be converted into native C calls to the underlying crypto library.
> > This allows you to leverage the optimizations and bug-fixing in the
> > underlying C library.
>
> I did that with the old SSLeay library and it basically worked fine
> (although I didn't do any of the Certificate classes...).  The only
> thing I found was that the performance (although un-optimised) was
> not as good as I'd expected.

Interesting.. thanks.

A couple more questions about OpenSSL..

- Why is there only a statically-linked version of libcrypt and libssl
  created? Why is there no dynamically linked version created?

- Has anyone thought about changing the configure and build system to
  use GNU configure/libtool/automake ?

Thanks,
-Archie