Erik Aronesty writes:
> Moving any of this excellent code-base in the GNU direction would be very
> disappointing.  The GNU libraries are huge and nearly indecipherable.
> Once you start with GNU, your entire library gets infected with it (i see
> error and string handling, bignums... all gone and replaced with the
> monolithic GNU libs).
>
> Small independent code bases like openssl and apache work very well
> together without the added "efficiency" of a common underlying GNU
> library.... and should probably remain that way.

It really boils down to how much porting energy is required vs.
how much you are willing to put into it. If you only care about
Linux and FreeBSD (say) then you don't really need autoconf/libtool/automake.

However, if an official goal is to be multi-platform then I think
the payoff point comes pretty quickly after only a few porting
nightmares, especially when shared libraries are involved..
These tools were developed by people to address particular problems
that came up while trying to port stuff. But it of course depends
know how much of a goal multi-platform support is.

-Archie