On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:09:36 +1100, "Ramsay, Ron" wrote:
> You say below that the type information is lost under RFC 2253, as if it is
> preservered under RFC 1779. It is not. The discussion in RFC 2253 applies to
> *all* LDAP DNs - it's a consequence of the string representation. It is
> therefore not possible to tell if the encoding of an AVA is T.61 or not.
> Conversion to UTF-8 is probably the only way to make it unambiguous.

It is partly preserved. At least, if your attribute value contains
values that are only legal in a PrintableString, then you probably have
a PrintableString, otherwise you have a T61String.

I'm still in favour of using RFC 1779, as it avoids the dilemma of
knowing how to convert the T.61 values into valid UTF-8.

Cheers,

Chris