On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 12:37:59PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > > ... wondered what
> > > happens if you attempt to compile it with -DSHA_XARRAY (as that's
> > > actually what is *essentially* different between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5).
> >
> > Ok, the compilation at +O3 has now jumped over the sha_dgst.c hurdle
> > and is very busy with rmd_dgst.c... Checked into rmd_dgst.c and bingo,
> > it is the same construct as in SHA_ARRAY at rmd_dgst.c:295, including
> > your respective comment... As of now the "ccom" has spend 12 minutes
> > on this file, I will leave it running for some more time. Maybe it will
> > terminate, but I guess it won't.
>
> OK, the picture is clear. It makes sense to define common macro, say
> MD32_XARRAY, on platform basis. Can you help with predefined macros on
> HP-UX C?

man cpp yields:
...  All HP-UX
systems have the symbols PWB, hpux, unix, _PWB, __hpux,
and __unix defined.  Each system defines at least one
hardware variant, as appropriate...

So hpux and or __hpux might be appropriate.
As for my personal preferences: I would prefer to define this -DMD32_XARRAY
in "Configure" so that the mechanism is visible and documented. My experience
with "magically" obtained machinery/compiler properties are not the best
and tracing through the source and/or a "machdep.h" to find out what
alternative of the code is used depending on which property is my most
hated job :-)

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/