Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> I'm wondering...  Currently, we run ranlib on libcrypto.a from each
> Makefile.ssl through the crypto/ directory tree.  And then again when
> installing it.  Is that really necessary?  On most system I'm
> compiling on, ranlib on libcrypto.a takes a noticeable amount of time,
> and as far as I understand, quite needlessly so.  Not doing ranlib
> except when installing or possibly creating shared libraries doesn't
> feel much like a loss.  The openssl program will not get larger, or
> will it?
>
> So, is there a real reason we ranlib all over the place?  If not, does
> anyone mind if I remove all those and just leave it for the
> installation part?

Lots of stuff internal to OpenSSL builds with the uninstalled version.
Which is why moving where it does ranlib is nottrivial. I guess all the
things that link with it must happen at the end, though, so putting it a
bit earlier than install (like before apps/openssl and test are built)
might work.

Cheers,

Ben.

--