ranlib build the library symbol table that allows the linker to select the
rachive members it needs to satisfy currently undefined references. The
problem if ranlib is not run can be twofold:

        On some systems if you modify the archive and do not run ranlib
afterwards, you just can't link against this library :-(. Thus on these
systems if you suppress the ranlib in some crypto subdirectory, you can't
run make just where you make a modif to compile the modif then rebuild your
test program ...

        On other systems the linker will accept the library but may fail to
link correctly as the library is only read once in sequential order; if
there is some references from the last element to a symbol defined by the
first element, this reference may not be satisfied (if no symbol from the
first element was needed by the program itself).

Thus suppressing these ranlib may not be a good thing... One alternative is
when configuring to define two ranlib tools: one to run each time, one to
run at the end. Depending on the system the former or both can be defined to
"true".

Just my $.02

        Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux