On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure there are systems out there which
> don't link unless ranlib has been run.

The purpose of ranlib is to create a global symbol table for the entire
archive.  This symbol table is needed to locate the archive member given a
certain global symbol.  On some systems (SystemV) this table is maintained
as part of adding a new archive member, and then ranlib is not required,
and in fact it may be missing.

Villy