From: Billy Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

billy> How feasible is it to use the ENGINE stuff at this  point? I
billy> figure if  I'm going to be contributing anything useful, and
billy> since we'll be in an embedded environment, this is were it
billy> would go. Thanks again for the responses.

For the kind of thing you're talking about (hw-supported crypto and so
on), the ENGINE stuff is definitely the way to go.  However, as you
have probably discovered, the amount of methods that are supported is
a bit limited (by what's actually implemented as methods at all in
OpenSSL and by the kind of hardware we've been playing with so far)
and could probably be enhanced.

Also, nothing stops you from talking with us (openssl-dev is the
perfect list for this kind of talk), even in detail, because what you
want to do may generate good ideas on our side on how to solve certain
problems or enhance what's already there.  Cooperation is the key word
here, and you've already started down that path :-).

The ENGINE mechanism does need enhancement, that's known.  If for
nothing else, then for the talk we had last week about the support for
symmetric algorithms and such (which is a bit difficult today, because
it needs quite some change in the rest of libcrypto as well).

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.