From:   Tom Wu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Fri 04/05/2002 6:25 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Name space collision

Steven Bade wrote:
>     We've created in the openCryptoki project a software token  which
> uses openSSL's crypto routines...   When running under the iplanet
> regression test suite we get a core dump in the key generation code...
> Tracing it down, the crash occurs in the SHA1_Update... one of the
> community members as a test changed the calls in the openSSL code to
> SHA1_Update to be FOO_SHA1_Update.
>
> Any of the more experienced openSSL developers out there have any
> suggestions of things we may try with regard to linker options  or other
>  ideas that we could do to address this collision (I doubt that I;m
> going to be able to get netscape to chance their function names :)....

We encountered the same problem here when loading OpenSSL-based modules
under iPlanet or the Netscape browser.  Our solution was to add macros
to the OpenSSL includes to "remap" the offending symbols to avoid
conflicts.  We also added placeholders for the old function names that
called the remapped functions to ensure that our library binaries were
still binary and source-compatible with unmodified OpenSSL libraries.

> thanks for your help...

Tom

--
Tom Wu