From: Harald Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

chk> > Hmm, why would one want to do that?  Out of curiosity...
chk>
chk> The first example that leaps to mind is the IPv6 bump-in-the-api shim
chk> library; See, for example:
chk>
chk>   <http://www.kfu.com/~nsayer/6to4/noipv4.html>
chk>   <http://www.kfu.com/~nsayer/6to4/shimlib.c>
chk>
chk> The idea is to pre-load a shared library that overrides the
chk> gethostbyname, connect, etc. calls in libc with versions that are IPv6
chk> aware, to allow old IPv4 applications to work on an IPv6 network.
chk> (And before you ask, no, I haven't tried it with OpenSSL (yet)).
chk>
chk>
chk> Another time I've used it was to replace a couple of network functions
chk> in a propietary library with versions that could run over SSL sockets.

OK, but both those examples refer to access to functions that are (at
least most probably) external to the application or library that
you're using.  I can for example understand using the IPv6
bump-in-the-api shim library with OpenSSL, and I see nothing that
would stop that from working even if -Bsymbol is used when creating
libcrypto.so, do you?

chk> To be fair, OpenSSL is pretty good about providing callbacks and
chk> function pointers for everything; I haven't needed to override any
chk> functions (yet).

We aim to please :) (to a certain level... :-)).

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.