Remember that LDAP was originally only a front-end for ISODE, an actual
X.500 directory. The "ldapd" spoke LDAP on one side and DAP on the other
side. While the LDAP packets are BER-encoded, the DNs in those packets were
in string format. In X.500 a DN is encoded as a sequence of OIDs and values,
not as a sequence of strings. So of course, the answer to the question of
DER-encoding is "no!" But it was the job of the ldapd to translate between
forms.

> > To answer your question "is there a definition of how to
> transform X.500 DNs
> > to LDAP representation?" the answer is yes, it's RFC 2253.
>
> you mean (RFC 2253, 2.1)
>
>    [...] the output consists of the string encodings of each
>    RelativeDistinguishedName in the RDNSequence (according to 2.2),
>    starting with the last element of the sequence and moving backwards
>    toward the first.
>
> with "backwards" being the key word?
>
> seems to make sense, i wasn't aware of that before.
> thanks.

Yes, exactly. And for the X.500 definitions, I refer you to X.501 section
9.2 "Names in General" :
        Each initial sub-sequence of the name of an object is also the name
        an object. The sequence of objects so identified, starting with the
        root and ending with the object being named, is such that each is the
        immediate superior of that which follows it in the sequence.

And X.501 section 9.7 "Distinguished Names":
        The distinguished name of a given object is defined as that name which
        consists of the sequence of the RDNs of the entry which represents the
        object and those of all of its superior entries (in descending order).

  -- Howard Chu