I successfully built OpenSSL 0.9.7-beta1 on my m68k-next-openstep42
system.  It did require adding an extra include somewhere I can't
remember offhand, and patching one of the test case files, but other
than that it built right out of the box without any issues.  Make test
completes without any errors.

However, I cannot install using the Makefile.  The exact error is

making all in tools...
installing man1/CA.pl.1
sh: dirname: not found
*** Exit 1

NeXTSTEP and OpenStep include the basename utility, but not the
dirname utility.  Is there some sort of pre-existing workaround or is
there an implmentation of dirname available in one of the GNU packages?

I just thought I'd report this.