Salut Eric,

Thanks for describing what you're up to and thanks (in advance) for
contributing your implementation(s). OpenSSL is used for a lot more than
building free webservers, despite misconceptions to the contrary, and
having an reasonably-optimal zlib compression layer right there in the
SSL/TLS implementation will be useful to many people (and for some, as an
unexpected and no-hassle bonus to their apps).

On November 26, 2002 01:24 pm, Le Saux, Eric wrote:
> All this will be an excellent subject of discussion in some SSL
> standard committee.

Standards ... ah yes, where "the customer is always wrong". I dare suggest
that the best way forward in that respect is to get a widely used SSL/TLS
implementation supporting compression in a sensible and tried-and-tested
manner, let it become a de-facto standard, then let standards authors
grumble over who'll get to backfit some RFC to it. At least that way
around, the dog wags the tail I suppose ... :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe