On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 08:35:43PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] via RT wrote:

> On December 2, 2002 05:53 am, Lutz Jaenicke via RT wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 10:55:26AM +0100, Alain Guibert via RT wrote:
> > >     There is just an alert at some point:
> > >
> > >     But the installation continues, and "man engine" is there after.
> >
> > Hmm. According to http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlpod.html
> > there only exist =head1 and =head2, so the complaint is correct :-)
> >
> > Geoff???
>
> Hmm, bollocks. I can't confess to having studied the perlpod documentation
> on this - I merely wondered if I could get away with a third level of
> header nesting and it "just worked" on my installation (ie. I got no
> warnings/errors and the resulting man-page rendered fine). Is this a
> limitation in (some versions of) 'pod2man' or is it a safety measure
> because of limitations in (some versions of) 'man'? It seems a shame to
> have to ditch something that works if it's a limitation in the version of
> the conversion tool being used. Lutz, you are the doc-god, what do you
> think we should do? I'm obviously the first to want a third level of
> header nesting, but I may not be the last ...

With respect to the link I cited above, the =head directive only supports
level 1 and level 2. If we intend to maintain compatibility with
standard perlpod, and I think we do :-), there is no level 3 and that
is it. Thus the manual page needs restructuring.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/