On December 3, 2002 03:09 am, Lutz Jaenicke via RT wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 08:35:43PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] via RT
wrote:
> > > Hmm. According to http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlpod.html
> > > there only exist =head1 and =head2, so the complaint is correct :-)
> > >
> > > Geoff???
> >
> > Hmm, bollocks. I can't confess to having studied the perlpod
> > documentation on this - I merely wondered if I could get away with a
[snip]
> > you are the doc-god, what do you think we should do? I'm obviously
> > the first to want a third level of header nesting, but I may not be
> > the last ...
>
> With respect to the link I cited above, the =head directive only
> supports level 1 and level 2. If we intend to maintain compatibility
> with standard perlpod, and I think we do :-), there is no level 3 and
> that is it. Thus the manual page needs restructuring.

Well I decided to do a little fishing ... this is apparently not a
limitation of groff/man (which is what counts, after all) but a
limitation of the pod2man implementation in version 5.6 of perl. Version
5.8 gives *four* levels of nesting;

    http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlpod.html

I can go and cripple the engine.pod documentation if absolutely necessary,
but it simply seems a somewhat shortsighted solution (even if
alliterative :-). IIRC there was some discussion a while back about
bundled implementations of pod2man or something like that? Could we
simply use a 5.8-compatible bundled implementation if the host system's
version is too old?

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The bastards have beaten off rationalism for now, but haven't eliminated
our capacity for reason - to do that they'd have to make us forget how
to both think and fear at the same time.