[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Tue Dec 31 13:21:06 2002]:

> i'm having a few problems building OpenSSL 0.9.7 on a HP-UX 11.00
>    machine
> using the HP Ansi C compiler. here's a list of the issues i've
noticed
>    so
> far (i've listed configuration options and error messages below):

I am using HP's ANSI C compiler on HP-UX 10.20 for production.

As a starter: I have some really old machines around, so I am still
building for PA-RISC 1.
I have just installed OpenSSL 0.9.7 on my production systems with:
 perl5 ./Configure shared hpux-parisc-cc -D_REENTRANT +DAportable
as I have done with lots of other versions before.

> 1) when compiling for hpux-parisc2-cc target with no-asm option
>    BN_kronecker test fails.

I will have to test this out.

> 2) error messages during 'make depend' when not using gcc and
>    makedepend
>    is installed on the system (HP Ansi C Developer's Bundle, imake
>    package). seems like this version of makedepend is not supported.
>    maybe
>    Configure should check that the system makedepend is suitable for
>    building OpenSSL before using it.

I will have to test this out (I have HP-UX 10.20, but as it is even
older...). I have gcc installed and a "make update" did work fine on
my systems.

> 3) shared library linking fails with hpux-parisc2-cc target.
>
> is anyone actually using OpenSSL 0.9.7 (or 0.9.6) compiled with some
>    other
> compiler than gcc on HP-UX 11.00? how well are other compilers
>    supported?

I am using the settings above for 0.9.7 since ages and before that
I have been using the scripts in the "shlib/" subdirectory (in fact,
I have added them for my purposes).

> i'd like to use HP Ansi C compiler instead of gcc because of the
> noticeable performance benefits in public key operations
(benchmarking
> done with 'openssl speed').

I will look into this issues, but it I am not familiar with PA-RISC
assembler, so I probably won't fix the PA-RISC2 assembler file.
For the time being I recommend you to use my setup.

Best regards,
     Lutz