> > compare pa-risc.s and pa-risc2.s, I see that reference to "Division
> > would overflow" is treated completely different. And I can actually
> > imagine that the way it's treated in pa-risc2.s is not
> > positon-independent...
>
> with your patch applied shared library linkage and tests succeed on
> hpux-parisc2-cc target.

Great! Patch is applied to HEAD and OpenSSL_0_9_7-stable now. Can you by
any chance test './Configure hpux64-parisc-cc shared'? If it fails in
the same way (i.e. complaining not being position independent) file a
separate bug report.

> The difference between both settings is, that in hpux-parisc-cc there is
>   cflags= ...  -DBN_DIV2W -DMD32_XARRAY
>   bn_ops= MD2_CHAR RC4_INDEX RC4_CHAR DES_UNROLL DES_RISC1 DES_INT

No BN_LLONG? No wonder it was so easy to beat the compiler in
assembler:-)

> while for hpux-parisc2-cc there is
>   cflags= ... -DMD32_XARRAY
>   bn_ops= SIXTY_FOUR_BIT MD2_CHAR RC4_INDEX RC4_CHAR DES_UNROLL DES_RISC1
> It therefore has to be determined, which of the defines (BN_DIV2W,
> SIXTY_FOUR_BIT, DES_INT) that are different, is triggering the problem.

DES_INT is not relevant. BN_DIV2W can't be used with SIXTY_FOUR_BIT and
is not revelant in hpux-parisc2-cc context. You can *not* remove
SIXTY_FOUR_BIT *and* keep pa-risc2.s! I mean the *whole* idea behind
pa-risc2.s is that C part has to be configured with SIXTY_FOUR_BIT.
There is *nothing* wrong with the flags.

It should be noted that SIXTY_FOUR_BIT relies heavily on "long long"
type and HP compiler does have bad record when it comes to "long long."
This is the original reason for BN_LLONG being defined for
hpux-parisc-gcc, but not for hpux-parisc-cc.

I'm convinced that it's a compiler bug, but you're free to prove me
wrong:-)

I hereby leave this ticket completely to Lutz. Cheers. A.