In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:32:05 +0200, Andy
Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

appro> 1. I'm reluctant to include bn.h to non-bn code, because it's
appro>    nothing but counterintuitive [and is not good in long run].
appro> 2. My standpoint is [still] that pqueue/dtls1 should not have
appro>    dependancy on bh.h either.
appro> 3. Using BIGNUM for DTLS purposes is *total* overkill. To back
appro>    this up I'm going to suggest alternative, 64-bit neutral pq
appro>    code shortly:-)

I agree.  I'd rather see something like crypto/64bit.h (which is
exported) and crypto/64bit.c.  However, considering we're not very far
from releasing 0.9.8 (everyone look at http://www.openssl.org/news/state.html!)
I'd say a change to something completely new in this department should
only be added to the 0.9.8 tree with lots of caution, and that the
BIGNUM reference in pqueue may be a necessary compromise.  In
0.9.9-dev, the matter is different, and I for one welcome any more
developed 64-bit integer handling there.

About the code in crypto/bn: there are some low-level routines that
are specifically designed to handle 64-bit integers represented as two
32-bit integers.  That code should be used, there's no point not to.
So it would be natural to depend on that part of crypto/bn...

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis