So far from the preliminary analysis that we have done (by looking at
some of the OSS applications) we see both libssl and libcrypto being
used. E.g. from libcrypto I find functions in EVP, RSA, MD5 and DSA sets
more commonly used than others. Unfortunately this is not an exhaustive
study. Do you or anyone on this project have data suggesting which APIs
are candidates for LSB inclusion both from demand and stability point of
view?

> 2. This is a refined variation on the issues distributions
> already face
> when distributing openssl in shared-library form and
> maintaining classes
> of applications that have dependencies on these libs. The
> consensus seems
> to be to use versioning to manage this, where a system can
> have multiple
> openssl libraries installed of differing version levels. Eg. 0.9.6,
> 0.9.7, etc. Bugfix releases to individual versions are expected to
> maintain binary compatibility, or distributors at least Q/A
> this at their
> end and patch around any issues as/where necessary. You'd
> have to check
> with the distributions themselves to know more though, that's
> out of our
> hands. Mark, any comments from a Redhat perspective?
>
> The reasons Steve outlined cover why we can't provide
> assurances about
> full ABI compatibility (nor even API compatibility) in a
> long-term sense.
> To do so would take a lot of undesirable but legacy aspects of the
> toolkit and fix them in place. However, the unwritten rule is
> to ensure
> that each incremental(/"bugfix") release of a given stable
> branch does
> preserve binary compatibility, and incorporation into LSB definitions
> would obviously go a long way turning this into a firmer
> commitment. Note
> also that major releases, which we freely admit can break ABI
> and/or API
> compatibility where required, are made far less frequently -
> as a perusal
> of release history will aptly demonstrate. I should also mention that
> we're not making vast overhauls of APIs on a regular basis,
> nor for the
> mere fun of it, so if adaptations are required long-term to
> allow future
> LSB revisions to incorporate newer release levels, this would hardly
> involve major surgery. Perhaps that's an avenue until such time as
> openssl does get to some kind of 1.0 plateau. Hope springs eternal.

I just checked the release history for openssl and it is encouraging to
see the major releases are years apart. I see that with some efforts it
may be possible to hide some of the data structure dependencies (as
Steve pointed out in other emails on this thread) and get some sets of
APIs to a "stable" level and push for LSB inclusion. There was at least
one comment from application developer encouraging this even though it
will require major changes.