Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:01:23 -0400, Johnny Lam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

jlam> What makes you think that the OpenSSL developers will go to the
jlam> trouble to do all this major surgery to their codebase when they
jlam> won't do the very simple thing of just properly versioning their
jlam> shared libraries?

Hmm, there's quite a lot of negativity flowing around these mailing
lists lately...

I'm sorry.  You're right -- I was unneedlessly negative, and I apologize.

jlam> When the ABI changes, all that they need to do is to increase
jlam> the major version of the shared libraries.  It's *that* simple.
jlam> There doesn't need to be any major modification of the sources
jlam> -- just to a Makefile here and there.

Right now, we have it depend on the version number.  An please tell
what the correct format for a soname is.  On some Unixen, it seems
like the correct format is libfoo.so.{x}.{y}, where x and y has very
specific meaning: the program that was linked against libfoo.so.{x}.{y}
can run against libfoo.so.{x}.{y+n} for all n = 0, 1, ..., oo.  On
other Unixen, the program that was linked with a library with a
specific soname must run against a library with the exact same
soname.  Others have just one number.  Others yet place the version
information somewhere completely different.  And I'm sure there are
more methods that I haven't even heard of.

Libtool works across many, many Unixen, and has picked a consistent versioning scheme for libtool archives from which the correct soname version is derived on a platform-specific basis.

But I'll take up the cue and see what we can do that works
everywhere.  But it's not just changing a Makefile a little here and
there.  If you want to help, please tell us how it should look on your
specific platform.  At some point, we'll have a knowledge database
that covers at least most of the platforms we support or try to
support.

I think that OpenSSL strives to work on more platforms that libtool does actually does at the moment, but I think the project is best served if it uses libtool to build OpenSSL for everywhere that it does work, and to fall back on the home-grown code for where libtool doesn't work. I have a lot of experience adding libtool support to many packages for pkgsrc, and I would be happy to contribute the above solution to the OpenSSL project if such a change were seriously considered.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>