On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 09:46:30AM +0200, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> Now question to Johnny Lam [who is complaining that we don't bump
> versions] and Christoph Martin [who suggests to add versioning on all
> symbols]. What exactly didn't work for you? As far as I understand both
> NetBSD and Debian are ELF-based so it should have worked... Does it
> simply conflict with your less-than-three-numbers convention [not that
> something is wrong with such convention, I'm just asking!] or is there
> some other reason? I'm not saying that that we refuse to change .so
> versioning in any way, all I want is to do things for right and
> recognized reasons, not just upon "we have had some problems." Well, in
> PAM case I can imagine problem with GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE being
> "cross-polluted" by 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 being *both* mapped into same
> application. Is it the case? Can you elaborate on which symbols were
> overloaded? You can figure this out by examining dynamic name tables *in
> pam modules* with objdump -T.

If you want an example of things breaking because of the
transition from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8, look at:
http://bugs.debian.org/334180

In this case, libpq (from postgresql) was linked to libssl0.9.7,
and dovecot was linked to libpq and libssl0.9.8.

It gave some strange error message indicating it couldn't load
libz.so.

I really don't want to debug this, it's alot more easier to just
relink libpq against libssl0.9.8.

Kurt