That attack is interesting, how can that be done, (sorry for bothering you :-) )

But cutting down the X509_cmp will not work because the memcmp
compares the hash which if I will cut out the X509_check_purpose lines
will not make any sense.

But I think the best idea is to compare the entire text of the entire
certificate (The text as I get in a PEM format before loading it into
the X509 object. it is faster than hashing the same size and comparing
the hash.

Thanks