> I'd consider an implementation of memcmp that doesn't early stop as soon

> as it sees a difference as completely broken, performance wise. Memcmp
> returns an ordered comparison but that can be done as soon as the first
> bit difference is seen.

Me too.  But look at the ASN1 for a certificate.  Given two certs, how far
down the chain are you first likely to see a difference?  Use that as your
DER offset.  That's why I suggested starting at the *end*.  I should have
left out the part about starting at the beginning.

        /r$

--
SOA Appliance Group
IBM Application Integration Middleware