2. Makefile.shared
        Define NM variable to hold name of nm program (which also differs
                from just nm when cross-compiling)
        Replace explicit call to nm by reference to this variable.

Haven't you yourself mentioned that one needs to generate .def file as well? Care to add and test that?

For reference. I was always wondering why do our dlls have to export things by ordinal and not by name? It would make sense if we maintained backward binary compatibility [so that incompatible functions with same name would be exported under different ordinals], but don't do that, at least not at present... A.