On Oct 20 13:51, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> Keep in mind that mingw defines _WIN32_WINNT=0x333, i.e. the intention
> was to target all NT versions [note that 0x333 actually covers even for
> Windows 9x, which has at least all 0x333 stubs, so that application can
> actually start]. As for winsock versioning. Upon latest modifications to
> b_sock.c I considered linking with wsock32 to be sufficient/appropriate
> for following reason. Systems equipped with ws2_32.dll do have wsock32
> too, and this wsock32.dll is actually linked with ws2_32.dll. Meaning
> that [legacy] application linked with wsock32 alone will actually bring
> even ws2_32.dll into address space. Now note that b_sock.c makes
> *global* lookups for getaddrinfo, meaning that application linked with
> wsock32 alone will actually find getaddrinfo even if it resides in
> ws2_32! So that the fact that latest headers [those defining struct

This is a very thin ice approach.  When you use wsock32, it's using
Winsock 1.1.  There are incompatibilities between Winsock 1.1 and
Winsock 2, which are solved by using different header files.  Including
winsock.h and winsock2.h concurrently is wrong.  It's also wrong to
include winsock.h when linking against ws2_32.dll and it's wrong to
include winsock2.h when linking against wsock32.dll.

For instance, several socket options have different values.  As an
example, IP_TOS is defined as the value 3 under Winsock 2, but it was
defined as the value 8 under Winsock 1.1.

> addrinfo] are included, but elder library is linked with is actually
> intentional. Yes, it requires certain programming discipline, but it's
> [considered] doable. As for IPv6. If w2k supports it only through
> additional library, I'd say "is it really a problem not to have IPv6 on
> pre-XP?" A.

Seriously, I'd consider Winsock 1.1 as the one which should be left
behind, rather than Windows 2000 users.  As I said in another mail,
Winsock 2 is by default available since Windows 95 OSR2 and NT4.  Even
for the original non-OSR2 release of Windows 95 is a Microsoft package
with a Winsock2 implementation available.  On the other hand, Windows
2000 is still officially supported by Microsoft, in contrast to Windows
95 and, FWIW, wsock32.dll.

It's really not that hard.  Always use ws2_32.dll instead of wsock32.dll,
never include winsock.h and, last but not least, if loading getaddrinfo/
freeaddrinfo from ws2_32.dll fails, try again by loading it from
wship6.dll.  If that fails, IPv6 is not available.  However, I'm not
sure if the DSO_global_lookup approach also covers wship6.dll
automatically on W2K.  Somebody would have to try it.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader