Perhaps what Douglas is getting at is that if Windows were made one of
the tested platforms for validation, the result would be much less
likely to contain serious bugs such as this one. This I wholeheartedly
agree with, and I understand that better support for Windows is indeed a
high priority for future validations (see section 6 of the User Guide).

> First technical question could be: If a change is made to the code to
> test for OPENSC_SYSNAME_MINGW32 will this fix his multi
> thread problem?

I've tried it; it does. It invalidates FIPS certification as well, of
course.

> So part of the technical discussion needs to address if code must be
> changed and thus the code must be re-certified. Or can there be some
> other way around the fix.

That is my question.

> If he is required to be FIPS compliant, then it is not irrelevant.

If FIPS compliance was not a requirement I would just continue to use
vanilla 0.9.8 compiled with VC++.

John