John Firebaugh wrote:

First technical question could be: If a change is made to the code to
test for OPENSSL_SYSNAME_MINGW32 will this fix his multi thread problem?

I've tried it; it does. It invalidates FIPS certification as well, of
course.

So part of the technical discussion needs to address if code must be
changed and thus the code must be re-certified. Or can there be some
other way around the fix.

That is my question.

I have not tried this, but you might bealbe to change the
MinGW/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/specs file.

I think you might be able to change the line following *cpp: from:

   %{posix:-D_POSIX_SOURCE} %{mthreads:-D_MT}

to something like:

   %{posix:-D_POSIX_SOURCE} %{mthreads:-D_MT}
%{DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_MINGW32:-DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32}

See http://www.dis.com/gnu/gcc/Spec-Files.html

I think this will replace the -DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_MINGW32 with
OPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32
openssl-fips-1.1.1 compiles, make install and openssl.exe  version runs. But I
don't
know if it fixes your problem.

This would be equivalent to using gcc wrapper script.

So although this lives up to the letter of the "law", i.e. uses ./config fips
it does not live up to the spirit of the "law" in that you are making a change
to the underlying build environment.

If he is required to be FIPS compliant, then it is not irrelevant.

If FIPS compliance was not a requirement I would just continue to use
vanilla 0.9.8 compiled with VC++.

John

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Argonne National Laboratory