On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 11:59 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:
> > I should be able to create a multithreaded application using
> > a non-multithreaded openssl build provided that I have an ssl
> > context per thread.
>
> Most definitely not. At a minimum, the definition of things like 'errno' and
> 'malloc' might be different between a multithreaded build and a
> non-multithreaded build. There is no supported way to combine multithreaded
> code and code that was not compiled to be multithreaded.
>
> It may happen to work, but that's a lousy way to make security-sensitive
> software.

Definitely not true on gcc+glibc - there is no difference between
multithreaded and non-multithreaded _compilation_ (surely not for errno
and malloc). So it is pretty safe to use non-multithreaded libraries (if
they are reentrant) in multithreaded applications on gcc+glibc. Of
course at link time and especially run time, the code being executed in
glibc is very different.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb