On Thursday 15 May 2008 12:38:24 John Parker wrote:

> Actually on my system, just -DPURIFY doesn't satisfy valgrind.  What
> I'm asking for is something that both satisfies valgrind and doesn't
> reduce the keyspace.

If you're using an up-to-date version of openssl when you see this (ie. a
recent CVS snapshot from our website, even if it's from a stable branch for
compatibility reasons), then please post details. -DPURIFY exists to
facilitate debuggers that don't like reading uninitialised data, so if that's
not the case then please provide details. Note however that there are a
variety of gotchas that allow you to create little leaks if you're not
careful, and valgrind could well be complaining about those instead.

> > This blog does not suggest that building with -DPURIFY would a problem
> > and nor should it. I think you may have misunderstood the details of this
> > issue.
>
> I am clearly misunderstanding something.  You seem to be saying that
> -DPURIFY satisfies valgrind but doesn't reduce the keyspace.  I'm
> prepared to take it on faith that -DPURIFY doesn't reduce the
> keyspace.

Well, more generally than some "keyspace" is the randomness of the PRNG
itself. (Your keys are only random if the PRNG's output is random.) But yes,
I'm saying that -DPURIFY does not diminish the quality of the PRNG, except
*possibly* by some unquantifiable amount that you couldn't safely depend on
anyway.

As for your other mail;

On Thursday 15 May 2008 12:09:46 John Parker wrote:
> > All of this is independent of proper entropy seeding to the PRNG, which
> > is what the debian patch crushed and which in turn led to the high
> > seismic reading in the blogosphere. But it may help explain why I do
> > *not* want us to unilaterally remove the use of uninitialised data in the
> > PRNG. That seems to be motivated by a capitulation to the weight of users
> > (or packagers) who don't know how to read the FAQ. Perhaps what we should
> > do instead is
>
> I think we should be less worried how things "seem" and more worried
> about the practical consequences.

That is more or less what I was doing. I hope that was clear.

> > change -DPURIFY to -DNO_UNINIT_DATA or something else which has a clearer
> > intention, so that debug packages (or even base packages that want to be
> > valgrind-friendly) have a straightforward mechanism to apply. Well, a
> > straightforward mechanism that doesn't kill the PRNG outright, I mean
> > (otherwise there is already a highly-publicised patch we could apply...)
>
> What I was hoping for was a -DNO_UNINIT_DATA that wouldn't be the
> default, but wouldn't reduce the keyspace either.

I believe this has been answered. For now, it's called -DPURIFY.

> Can someone provide a pointer to this highly-publicized patch?  I'm
> afraid I'm dreadfully ignorant of the blogosphere.

You started this mail thread, so you go and find it! :-) The patch I was
referring to, tongue-in-cheek, is the debian patch that crippled the PRNG. As
for the blogosphere, you aren't missing much, I'd recommend that
continued "ignorance" would be far from dreadful - in fact I intend to join
you in that respect, once this was-it-debian's-fault-or-openssl's-fault
nonsense has died down a bit.

Cheers,
Geoff