On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:07:03PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 05:24:51PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > So you're comfortable with the adversary knowing, let's say, 511 of
> > the first 512 bits fed through SHA1?
>
> *Sigh*.
>
> Thor, you clearly have no idea how SHA-1 works.  In fact, I'd be
> comfortable with an adversary knowing the first megabyte of data fed
> through SHA1, as long as it was followed up by at least 256 bits which
> the adversary *didn't* know.

Thanks for the gratuitous insult.  I'd be perfectly happy with the case
you'd be happy with, too, but you took my one bit and turned it into 256.

What I _wouldn't_ be happy with is a PRNG which has been fed only known
data, but enough of it at startup that it agrees to provide output to
the user.  There are a terrible lot of these around, and pretending that
stack contents are random is a great way to accidentally build them.

Not feeding in data which you have a pretty darned good idea will be
predictable -- potentially as the first bits in at RNG startup -- is to
my mind one thing one can should do to avoid the problem.

Thor