When the current effort to obtain a FIPS 140-2 validation began in
January we announced an expected completion in Q4 of this year, based on
our planned strategy of developing the FIPS module first, submitting it
for validation, and then developing the corresponding "FIPS capable"
OpenSSL 1.0.x.

The FIPS module development is now essentially complete, and we were
preparing to actively engage the test lab in the validation review
process. However, our primary sponsors have requested a change in the
original project strategy.  We have been asked to implement some
additional cryptographic algorithms and to focus on early release of a
working FIPS module plus FIPS capable OpenSSL combination, at the
expense of the formal validation award. That working code (less the new
cryptographic algorithms which will not be of significant interest to
most users) will be available sooner than originally planned.

We have now shifted our resources to completing the FIPS capable
development. That effort is expected to be substantially complete in
approximately three weeks, at which point the results will be available
for testing by any interested parties.  Next we will implement the new
cryptographic algorithms, an effort expected to take another 4-6 weeks,
at which point we will then commence the FIPS validation review process
with the test lab.

As a consequence of this new project strategy we are now predicting
availability of the formally validated module in early 2012.

To summarize:

1) Working but unvalidated code should be available within a month.
2) The formally validated module should be available by Q1 2012.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.