On 01/08/2012 11:11 PM, Paul Suhler wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> What is the file openssl-fips-2.0rc2.tar.gz.1, which is about an hour newer
> than the one listed below?

It is not relevant ... an attempt to deal with a Microsoft Windows
issue.  We have since identified a better work-around that does not
involve changes to the module code.

Since we're probably going to be asked, here's the issue:  we found that
the Windows based compilations would occasionally fail when attempting
to perform successive operations on files.  For instance, 1) link
executable, 2) run executable, 3) delete executable, 4) (re)link
executable would fail at step 4 even though the file did not exist
(previous unlink was successful).  We traced the problem to the bundled
Windows Defender service; stopping or replacing that avoids the
problem.  Other programs (anti-virus or other, such as Explorer) may
also cause similar problems.  For the formal FIPS 140-2 testing we build
a fresh Windows image from scratch and install nothing but the essential
build software (in this case MSVC++, perl, nasm, and a handful of
GnuWin32 utilities).  Now we have a new step, stop the Windows Defender
service and/or install Windows Security Essentials as that which does
not appear to trigger this problem.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess