> I can provide a staticly linked version of s_client with debug
> symbols if you think that's useful.  But I would still need
> to know what to ask.

I can't really think of anything specific to ask either. As suggested
first step would be to try to reproduce with statically linked openssl
binary. As for additional information ask for output from 'env' command
(to see LD_* variables), ask for openssl.cnf file, lsof -p <failing
s_clients' pid> right after start. As for debugging, it's more than
likely simpler to print variables and buffers in e_aes_cbc_hmac_sha1.c,
but let's do above, then think further...