Hi,

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, K wrote:

> thank you geoff, that was enlightening.

really?? oh ... :-)

> what about the fact that we are a swiss company? we remotely admin our boxes
> and so obviously we will send this 'tool' to our server from switzerland. is
> that legal? (i think it might be because i thought i heard somewhere it was
> ok to send crypto tools TO the US, just not export to the rest of the world
> FROM the US.) ideas? clue?

Operating "across" the border is not just extremely difficult to do
without *accidently* violating some restriction, but is also a legal
minefield where common sense shares a much lower overlap with the law than
you might expect or reasonably hope for. I really don't want to be the one
to make statements to you about what you can and can't do - apart from
wanting to steer well clear of any liability for pointing you in the wrong
direction, there is also the fact that I don't understand much of it
myself.

The simple stuff is relatively well understood - send a crypto program to
the US from outside - sometimes ok (if the country you're sending from has
liberal enough laws and even this can depend on whether it is commercial,
non-commercial, mass-market, customised, source, binary, etc etc etc). If
you try to send it back from the US it's an almost certain no-no. If
someone uses it inside the US to communicate with someone using it outside
the US - that *should* be fine. This last point is what my original
statement was about ... all that other stuff (particularly when you want
to complicate things with 'remote admin' across borders) really needs you
to get an authoratitive legal opinion from someone who really knows this
stuff. And that isn't me :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

Geoff Thorpe                                    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cryptographic Software Engineer, C2Net Europe    http://www.int.c2.net