> >US is far away from OpenSSL, and will probably remain that way for
> >some time, unless the US export law changes radically.
>

> You mean next month (Dec 15, 1999).

U.S. law is not going to change radically on Dec. 15.  There will
still be a one time review of exported binaries.  Exported source code
will still be banned.  Technical assistance will still be restricted.

Not that I know anything in particular about the new regulations.
This statement is simply infered by the Executive Branch's continued
appeals in the Bernstein case which if the last ruling was allowed to
stand would remove the government's prior restraint authority from
computer source code.  And its continued fight to prevent Congress
from voting on any of the bills which would allow mass market software
to be shipped without review.

I am encouraged by Germany's grant for development of GNU software
for personal key management.  This action which the U.S. strongly
disagrees with is only more likely to put pressure on the U.S. to
cave into the development of open source crypto.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025
  http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html * [EMAIL PROTECTED]