From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Shobhit_Khanna> Would some knowledgeable person please clue me in as
Shobhit_Khanna> to the distinction between OpenSSL and SSLeay?
Shobhit_Khanna>
Shobhit_Khanna> OpenSSL appears to be the successor to  SSLeay as
Shobhit_Khanna> there are no recent files on the SSLeay ftp sites, and
Shobhit_Khanna> the OpenSSL version numbering seems to continue on
Shobhit_Khanna> from where SSLeay leaves off.  I did look on the
Shobhit_Khanna> OpenSSL web site, but I couldn't find any any
Shobhit_Khanna> documentation addressing this question.

If you read the README, you'll see the following:

  "OpenSSL is based on the excellent SSLeay library developed from Eric
  A. Young and Tim J. Hudson"

So basically, the appearance is confirmed, and the history shows that
OpenSSL takes off where SSLeay stopped.

In reality, what's happened is a fork, one being free (OpenSSL) and
the other being commercial (SSL-C from RSA Security, Inc.).

Shobhit_Khanna> Also, could someone add this question to the OpenSSL
Shobhit_Khanna> FAQ?  maybe right at the beginning under "MISC"?

Perhaps it's going to be time for a history section...

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.