I have tried upgrading the version of openssl 0.9.6 on a RedHat 7.1 machine
to 0.9.6b using the RedHat openssl.spec file and it broke several
applications, including openssh. This is why I've been saying in the case of
RedHat 7.x to stick with the RedHat openssl packages. Now if you could just
provide different packages for us Brits (and others) who aren't restricted
by RC5 and IDEA patents...

># rpm --erase openssl-devel
># rpm -Uvh openssl-devel-0.9.6-3.rpm ### from the CD, or wherever
>
>if you wish to get back under the RPM management. You may need
>a --force
>too.
>
>Hope some of that makes sense :)
>
>joe

It makes sense to me. It's good to see someone from RedHat giving a hand
with this one, as it does come up often on the list.

-
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute for the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk